Thread: Stop keeping save.dats on players computers

Lesser Wizard

Default Stop keeping save.dats on players computers

The only way to hack password is through save.dat, stop storing it in our computers and the problem will be solved, the item duplicators, gem hacks, etc will vanish..

Growtopia is the only game that i've heard of that stores passwords in our computers.. legit every other game i've played doesn't come close to this stupid design.
    Last edited by Vandaler; 05-21-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Cursed

please just use the token system already

Quote Originally Posted by Astigmatisme View Post
    What about copying whole GT folder itself? (Token gained...)
    Signatured.

Lesser Wizard

?... what token system, did you even read?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not mad at Growtopia, i fully deserve to get hacked for not enabling aap however i do think that keeping player passwords in their computer folder is not smart..

Lesser Wizard

Bump and edit..

Removed the 'i got hacked part' because it's irrelevant to suggestions box.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandaler View Post
    The only way to hack password is through save.dat, stop storing it in our computers and the problem will be solved, the item duplicators, gem hacks, etc will vanish..

Growtopia is the only game that i've heard of that stores passwords in our computers.. legit every other game i've played doesn't come close to this stupid design.
    then u must type ur username and password again everytime u want to play. If you want it that way, then ok.

how do u think u are able to auto-login to steam/origin/google chrome/youtube/spotify/or even this forum.
    GenSEAF
    Graphic Designer

Discord: GENSEAF#1544
    Portfolio (Instagram): @seafxiv
    I can give tips for designing if you like, just contact me. (And when I have time)
    Software used: Adobe Photoshop CC, Adobe Illustrator CC

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by GEN View Post
    then u must type ur username and password again everytime u want to play. If you want it that way, then ok.

how do u think u are able to auto-login to steam/origin/google chrome/youtube/spotify/or even this forum.
    And does steam,google, etc store passwords on your computer where it's easily accessible? Ofc no.. or else everyone would be getting hacked..

And typing username and password after each login wouldn't sound so bad if it'd mean no more people getting hacked.

Oh i thought the token stored in client, if this stored in server, maybe more saver... but i dunno
    Signatured.

Cursed

Quote Originally Posted by Vandaler View Post
    ?... what token system, did you even read?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not mad at Growtopia, i fully deserve to get hacked for not enabling aap however i do think that keeping player passwords in their computer folder is not smart..
    It was kind of a suggestion

Most apps uses something called the "Authorization Token" or something along those lines. Basically, for the first time you log in, you send your personal info (Username and Password) to the server. Then, the server gives you a long string of text known as a token. For the next time you log in, you just need to send the token itself, and the server automatically lets you in. If the token is incorrect, you'll not be logged in, and you need to insert your username and password again. Do note that most of the times, the token itself is heavily encrypted by both the server and the client, and each client has its own encryption method, which is obfuscated deep within the coding (the server could also have unique encryption method for every token to make it safer). So stealing the token itself is not enough, as you need to somehow extract and figure out the encryption method.

For most apps, this works fine. But there are still some cases when the token managed to get stolen and decrypted. To counter this, some apps hides extra data in their token, such as location, IP, device name, model, ID, and other open information that's unique to each device. This way, when someone send a token to the server, the server then reads your device info and compare them to the token. If the token match, then you're free to go. If it doesn't, the server knows that someone is trying to impersonate you.

Note that if you're logged in on several devices, each device has their own unique token, and the server can assign your account to several tokens.

This way, the computer itself (the client) never stores your password, which is already significantly more secure. Almost every phishing site will automatically break (except for the ones that actively asks for your password), and every save.dat stealer redundant, because you now need to extract the token, reverse-engineer both the client encryption (which is unique for each client) and the server encryption (which is basically just brute-forcing), and somehow temper with your device to match the extra data inside the token (which i doubt complies with any TOS/EULA, so it's automatically out of the question).

Lesser Wizard

It was kind of a suggestion

Most apps uses something called the "Authorization Token" or something along those lines. Basically, for the first time you log in, you send your personal info (Username and Password) to the server. Then, the server gives you a long string of text known as a token. For the next time you log in, you just need to send the token itself, and the server automatically lets you in. If the token is incorrect, you'll not be logged in, and you need to insert your username and password again. Do note that most of the times, the token itself is heavily encrypted by both the server and the client, and each client has its own encryption method, which is obfuscated deep within the coding (the server could also have unique encryption method for every token to make it safer). So stealing the token itself is not enough, as you need to somehow extract and figure out the encryption method.

For most apps, this works fine. But there are still some cases when the token managed to get stolen and decrypted. To counter this, some apps hides extra data in their token, such as location, IP, device name, model, ID, and other open information that's unique to each device. This way, when someone send a token to the server, the server then reads your device info and compare them to the token. If the token match, then you're free to go. If it doesn't, the server knows that someone is trying to impersonate you.

Note that if you're logged in on several devices, each device has their own unique token, and the server can assign your account to several tokens.

This way, the computer itself (the client) never stores your password, which is already significantly more secure. Almost every phishing site will automatically break (except for the ones that actively asks for your password), and every save.dat stealer redundant, because you now need to extract the token, reverse-engineer both the client encryption (which is unique for each client) and the server encryption (which is basically just brute-forcing), and somehow temper with your device to match the extra data inside the token (which i doubt complies with any TOS/EULA, so it's automatically out of the question).
    Thank you for explaining, Growtopia could use something like this 100%!