Thread: I'm an old player that's made some cool music worlds (Avatar:TLA, Monster's inc)

Default I'm an old player that's made some cool music worlds (Avatar:TLA, Monster's inc)

I'm super into making music worlds at the moment, my main world beardiessecretlab has the theme from Avatar the Last Airbender + Safe Return (the peaceful song that plays at the end of a lot of episodes). I've made the Monster's Inc theme for my sister's birthday in amysurprise, and I made the song from the legend of korra soundtrack, service and sacrifice in the world serviceandsacrifice (this is the song that played at the very end of season 3 during a certain important ceremony for Jinora ) Anyways, if you're interested in hearing any of these, check em out!

I'm going to reminisce now about the game. I created my account about a week after the game was released in Jan 2013, it's been crazy to see it grow, I'm kinda fascinated by how WLs have developed into the currency they are today, Growtopia is like a legit economy where everyone buys into the notion that WL are worth something even though they themselves have no intention to use them (there value has transcended their function). Whew, sorry for being a nerd about this.

Lesser Wizard

WOW I AM SUCH A BIG FAN OF LEGEND OF KORRA!It is so nice meeting returning players if you do need help just msg on the forums or rather msg me infame..
    Also do you mind teaching me how to compose certain pieces it has been mydream
    if there are any grammatical mistakes it is due to my kindle it performs lie a nokia button phone it is used for reading books
    H

Also I know my Name is Garbage xD
    IGN:LilPlague

Quote Originally Posted by AWSOME !!! View Post
    WOW I AM SUCH A BIG FAN OF LEGEND OF KORRA!It is so nice meeting returning players if you do need help just msg on the forums or rather msg me infame..
    Also do you mind teaching me how to compose certain pieces it has been mydream
    if there are any grammatical mistakes it is due to my kindle it performs lie a nokia button phone it is used for reading books
    Sure! I am by no means a musician, everything I know about music, I learned by making songs in growtopia.

1. This online growtopia music simulator will be your best friend! https://mylegguy.github.io/Growtopia...TheFourth.html. You can mess around with a song in there to perfect it, I am never quite sure how much of a gap needs to be between notes, so the simulator helps me do trial and error.

2. Find the song you want to transcribe on https://musescore.com/. This is a great site because it lets you play the sheet music so you can hear how it sounds before you select it. I recommend filtering to only look for piano pieces and set number of instruments to 1.

3. Transcribe the piece into the simulator, just find a cheat sheet to learn how to read sheet music. Only transcribe the top staff, the treble clef, not the bottom bass clef, you can only do one, and it probably should be the top. You're going to want to make sure you know what key signature the song is in. This is indicated by the number of sharp or flat notes next to the treble clef at the very beginning of the song. Here's an image to help you.

Name:  key-signatures-chart.png
Views: 82
Size:  17.6 KB

Once you know what key signature the song is in find that page on this website https://www.basicmusictheory.com/ This will give you a cheat sheet of what each note corresponds to in that key. For example, if it's d major go to https://www.basicmusictheory.com/d-major-scale. Scroll down and you'll see this

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.55.36 PM.png
Views: 83
Size:  75.7 KB

BOOM! Now you know when to use sharp or flat notes, trust me, you need this otherwise your song won't sound right, I learned the hard way. I've pretty much figured out that quarter notes should have a gap of three spaces between them, half notes should have 7 blank spaces between them, whole notes should have 15 spaces between them, but also remember the golden rule trial and error!

4. Grow/trade for sheet music notes in growtopia, luckily they are all farmable so once you start a supply, you can keep it going. For what it's worth, it's not super hard to farm them from scratch, that's pretty much what I did a while ago, but also you can buy them in bulk pretty cheap.

Tips
    • Don't choose songs that have too large a range, I've already struggled with this issue a bit, growtopia only has two octaves, so if you see sheet music with notes way above the staff and way below the staff and everything in between, growtopia just can't handle that kind of range.
    • The simulator is designed to represent the maximum size of song you can create in a growtopia world, don't go over the 16 page limit.
    • Keep in mind that the bottom row of a growtopia world (i.e. the last four pages in the simulator) will lack the bottom 2 notes, D and C, so try not to put low notes in that area. Alternatively, you can use an audio rack or audio machine to overcome this issue.
    • Look for sections of the song that repeat, and use repeat begin and end sheet music for these sections save space and resources in the world, this will help you transcribe longer songs.
    • I'm going to share a special trick I made up, and as far as I know, I haven't seen anyone else doing this. IF you really want to transcribe a longer song, take your use of repeat notes to the extreme. Put repeats in the gaps between notes, to create the needed pause without actually using a huge gap for it. This can get you an extra 10 pages or more in the growtopia simulator. Count the number of blank spaces between notes and subtract 2, thats the number of repeats you need. In the example below, there is a gap of 7 spaces, so I used 5 repeats.

Before using repeats
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.41.06 PM.png
Views: 81
Size:  62.6 KB

After adding in repeats, look at how much space you save!
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.46.16 PM.png
Views: 80
Size:  69.8 KB

Whew, this turned into a way longer tutorial than I expected, I really hoped it helped, and I also hope you have fun doing this! As a non-musician, I really enjoy how simple growtopia's system is, it's easy to use, and sometimes you have to get clever to overcome it's limitations, and it's all about problem-solving . Not being musically trained has never hindered me from making songs I like in the game! Let me know if you have any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Lesser Wizard

This is gonna take a while but i have nothibg to do so lemme try it alo can i meet you ingame later?
    H

This is gonna take a while but i have nothibg to do so lemme try it alo can i meet you ingame later?
    Sure!, I'm in right now if you want, come to beardiessecretlab. Also, I should warn you, at least based on my experience, this is not a fast process. It will take a few hours to transcribe the song in the simulator, another few hours or even days to farm all the notes if you don't have any, and then a few hours putting it into a world. Don't expect a fast turnover, but also have fun, the journey itself is just as fun as the end product!

Lesser Wizard

ah sorry i cant come npw my parents will kill me maybe tomorrow is posssible?
    H

ah sorry i cant come npw my parents will kill me maybe tomorrow is posssible?
    sure let me know a time!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Beardie383 View Post
    Sure! I am by no means a musician, everything I know about music, I learned by making songs in growtopia.

1. This online growtopia music simulator will be your best friend! https://mylegguy.github.io/Growtopia...TheFourth.html. You can mess around with a song in there to perfect it, I am never quite sure how much of a gap needs to be between notes, so the simulator helps me do trial and error.

2. Find the song you want to transcribe on https://musescore.com/. This is a great site because it lets you play the sheet music so you can hear how it sounds before you select it. I recommend filtering to only look for piano pieces and set number of instruments to 1.

3. Transcribe the piece into the simulator, just find a cheat sheet to learn how to read sheet music. Only transcribe the top staff, the treble clef, not the bottom bass clef, you can only do one, and it probably should be the top. You're going to want to make sure you know what key signature the song is in. This is indicated by the number of sharp or flat notes next to the treble clef at the very beginning of the song. Here's an image to help you.

Name:  key-signatures-chart.png
Views: 82
Size:  17.6 KB

Once you know what key signature the song is in find that page on this website https://www.basicmusictheory.com/ This will give you a cheat sheet of what each note corresponds to in that key. For example, if it's d major go to https://www.basicmusictheory.com/d-major-scale. Scroll down and you'll see this

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.55.36 PM.png
Views: 83
Size:  75.7 KB

BOOM! Now you know when to use sharp or flat notes, trust me, you need this otherwise your song won't sound right, I learned the hard way. I've pretty much figured out that quarter notes should have a gap of three spaces between them, half notes should have 7 blank spaces between them, whole notes should have 15 spaces between them, but also remember the golden rule trial and error!

4. Grow/trade for sheet music notes in growtopia, luckily they are all farmable so once you start a supply, you can keep it going. For what it's worth, it's not super hard to farm them from scratch, that's pretty much what I did a while ago, but also you can buy them in bulk pretty cheap.

Tips
    • Don't choose songs that have too large a range, I've already struggled with this issue a bit, growtopia only has two octaves, so if you see sheet music with notes way above the staff and way below the staff and everything in between, growtopia just can't handle that kind of range.
    • The simulator is designed to represent the maximum size of song you can create in a growtopia world, don't go over the 16 page limit.
    • Keep in mind that the bottom row of a growtopia world (i.e. the last four pages in the simulator) will lack the bottom 2 notes, D and C, so try not to put low notes in that area. Alternatively, you can use an audio rack or audio machine to overcome this issue.
    • Look for sections of the song that repeat, and use repeat begin and end sheet music for these sections save space and resources in the world, this will help you transcribe longer songs.
    • I'm going to share a special trick I made up, and as far as I know, I haven't seen anyone else doing this. IF you really want to transcribe a longer song, take your use of repeat notes to the extreme. Put repeats in the gaps between notes, to create the needed pause without actually using a huge gap for it. This can get you an extra 10 pages or more in the growtopia simulator. Count the number of blank spaces between notes and subtract 2, thats the number of repeats you need. In the example below, there is a gap of 7 spaces, so I used 5 repeats.

Before using repeats
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.41.06 PM.png
Views: 81
Size:  62.6 KB

After adding in repeats, look at how much space you save!
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 12.46.16 PM.png
Views: 80
Size:  69.8 KB

Whew, this turned into a way longer tutorial than I expected, I really hoped it helped, and I also hope you have fun doing this! As a non-musician, I really enjoy how simple growtopia's system is, it's easy to use, and sometimes you have to get clever to overcome it's limitations, and it's all about problem-solving . Not being musically trained has never hindered me from making songs I like in the game! Let me know if you have any questions.
    YOOOO I really appreciate you sharing this. <3
    "Why fit in when you are born to stand out?"

I'm Owley,
    A Growtopian since the 20th of August 2013.

I recommend you copy paste this into a thread at the Guidebook subforum. I'm getting into composing in Growtopia as well and got a LOT of information from your reply. (Especially that neat Kung Fu trick for shortening songs)

Great Work!
    (banned)